CX Race Report #1 Valmont

The course at Valmont Bike Park is like no other cross course you could think of. It has a mix of dirt road, single track, berm filled downhills,
a monster sand pit,the Belgian Stairs, and the leg killing 5280 run up.As for my race, lets just say things just did not go as planned. My start was great, settling into 4th after the first half lap going into the 5280. I thought all was good, just sit in hang with the boys at the front, try and make a move if someone bobbled or I could tell they were suffering. That strategy quickly went out the window. I was the one who kept making mistakes and paying for them. Although I had ridden the sand pit every time during warm ups I couldn't make it cleanly across and it cost me a good 2-3 spots each time. About half way in I hit the wall, BIG TIME. The legs locked up and said, "sorry sucka we're out this piece!" and I kept falling back. I ended the day in 17th. Not at all where I had hoped to be. Hopefully I'm blaming it on the 1st race jitters. Lets hope I'm right.
This weekend race will be a Xilinx, a course that if I remember correctly should be less of the up down style at Valmont. Hopefully my form will show its reluctant fat ass face.

No comments: