"That was irrational of you... not to mention unsportsmanlike."

Sheesh what a weekend. I had hopes of driving up to Pisgah on my day off Friday but the green blob on the radar directly over Pisgah didn't look promising so I decided to head to FATS. The plan was to ride the less popular Deep Step, Big Rock and Tower trails first and then come back towards the parking lot and finish on the all-too-popular Brown Wave and Skinny loops. The trails were deserted and in pristine shape. I can't remember having so much fun on a bike. Big Rock counter-clockwise and Tower clockwise are easily some of the best riding imaginable. Fast, flowy but not as pump trackish like Great Wall or Brown Wave. There are some steep climbs and even steeper, very tight descents. Even though a shower had passed through overnight, the trails were dry with the corners quite tacky. Coming back on a conenctor trail, I overcooked a tight lefthand turn and kicked my leg out to prevent a crash. I instantly felt my back muscles seize and then give out. I had pulled my lower back yet again (September 2010 was the last occurrence) and hobbled to the car. Fuck. I was on my back unable to move Friday and Saturday and then spent 3 1/2 hours in a car Sunday driving to the Dinosaur Jr / Off! concert in Atlanta. Incredible show. Off! blew me away. Their lead singer, Keith Morris, was the front man for the Circle Jerks. Their guitarist played in Burning Brides. The bass player was from Red Kross(!) and their drummer Mario Rubalcaba played in Rocket From The Crypt and Hot Snakes! So yeah, pretty much a super-group. Dinosaur Jr. performed "Bug" in its entirety along with a few other hits. Still one of the loudest bands you will ever encounter. Although the show was amazing, my back paid for it dearly and after missing work Monday and Tuesday, I am sitting here on a Wednesday morning at my work desk, typing this in agonizing pain. Such is life. I hope to be back on the bike in a few weeks.
Here is OFF!



Here is the sherm pipe I found at FATS. Scraped the resin out for some foil hits on the drive back home to ease my back pain.


Here is Dinosaur Jr:

2 comments:

dwight yoakam said...

badass. the show, not the back issue. sorry to hear about that, KenDoll

The Ghost of Jerry Reed said...

no worries, i'm gonna start smoking sherm to help with the pain